The RBC U.S. Consumer Outlook Index is a monthly national survey of consumer attitudes on the current and future outlook on the national and local economy, personal finance situations, savings and confidence to make large investments. The survey questionnaire and findings represent the most robust consumer outlook index in the world.
Unlike other indices which take a retrospective approach, RBC’s monthly index offers market participants the most up-to-date and detailed projections of the attitudes and behaviors of U.S. consumers. With 36 questions, more than double the number of other indices, the RBC Consumer Outlook Index is unmatched in terms of depth, providing a rich trove of data for a better understanding of what consumers are thinking now.
The RBC Consumer Outlook Index, which also includes quarterly breakouts by geographic region of the U.S., is a real time barometer of consumer perceptions, publishing results within 36 hours of coming from the field.
• Current: Provides the first look at the current month’s consumer sentiment
• Comprehensive: Unmatched in terms of depth, the survey is comprised of 34 designated discreet questions plus two custom questions each month
• Credible: Based on historical results tracked over a 7-year period
• Predictive: Provides detailed projections of the attitudes and behaviors of U.S. consumers. The RBC Index has a historical 90 percent correlation rate with the two main U.S. consumer confidence monthly surveys, which are released later each month
• Forward-looking: Asks consumers about their saving, spending and investing plans for the future